A consular officer will review your paperwork to make the final decision as to whether you qualify for the J-1 visa. It is important that during the interview you justify your intention to depart the United States upon completion of your postdoc.
Here are some common questions you should be asked:
- Why do you want to go to the U.S.?
- What will you be doing in the US?
- What is your current occupation?
- What are your qualifications?
- Which university have you graduated from?
- What program are you applying to?
- Who is going to pay for your expenses?
- Tell me about your housing.
- Do you have family in the U.S.?
You must expect to have your fingerprints scanned as part of your application.